[governance] Proposed contribution for the Hyderabad programme

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 13 06:14:20 EDT 2008

Adam

> I think you are opening up a simple comment in
> ways that need too much discussion.
>
> Parminder: you are getting into too much detail.
> The impact of the statement we need to make
> "begin the review, we are offering to help" is
> being lost.

I agree there two different issues and they should preferable be kept
separate.

(1) of offering to help through our workshop etc, and applying to be in the
WG for preparing the main session.

(2) making sure the evaluation is done properly

We should mention only the first one in this case which directly relates to
IGF program.

The second one was in my mind for some time when I picked up somewhere that
outside expert evaluation, and possibly a pro bono one, might be under
consideration. In any case I wanted IGC's position on this, and since the
issue was opened up by some emails, I introduced it.

I think we should go by the existing text as amended by Adam, and consult
within the group on the evaluation process separately.

The corresponding text for IGC's consideration stands as

> "it is important that a review and evaluation of
> the IGF begins promptly and be conducted in an
> inclusive and transparent consultative process
> involving all stakeholders"

Thanks. Parminder

I am also putting the full text of the statement that is being proposed, for
which inputs will be taken for another 6 hours or so, and then it will be
piut for consensus process for 48 hours.
____________

Contribution on the IGF Hyderabad Programme Paper

(1)  The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus fully supports the letter
sent by the Internet Bill of Rights Dynamic Coalition on "Rights as a core
theme of the IGF".  The issue of rights and the Internet must remain a
central theme of the IGF process.

(2) About the taking stock and way forward session: we suggest that this
session be organized in the same "bottom-up" manner as the other main
session workshops and debates.  In light of para 76 of the Tunis Agenda,

    "76. We ask the UN Secretary-General to examine the desirability of the
continuation of the Forum, in formal consultation with Forum participants,
within five years of its creation, and to make recommendations to the UN
Membership in this regard."

It is important that a review and evaluation of the IGF begins promptly and
be conducted as an inclusive and transparent consultative process involving
all stakeholders.

The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus organized a workshop on "The
role and mandate of the IGF" at IGF, Rio, and is organizing another with the
same title at IGF, Hyderabad,
<http://www.intgovforum.org/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=71> and we would
be pleased if this workshop, and the IGC, could help support the organizing
of and the discussion during the taking stock and way forward session, in
the same way as the preparation for the other main sessions is being done in
collaboration with some workshop organizers.  We would be pleased to work
with the MAG and all other stakeholders to use this session to begin the
process of review and evaluation of the IGF. It is important that a review
and evaluation of the IGF begins promptly and be conducted in an
inclusive and transparent consultative process involving all stakeholders.

(3)  The process of merging individually proposed workshops and setting-up
the working groups that are to develop the main session workshops has been
very unclear.  How were some workshops accepted in these working groups and
some not?  What efforts have been made to ensure that a balanced
representation of views is present in each of the working groups organizing
the main session workshops?

The caucus believes this process needs to be improved and made more
transparent. We would like clarification of the process and to be assured
that all stakeholders, and holders of all viewpoints, will have an equal
opportunity to participate in the working groups developing the main session
workshops (and therefore greatly influencing the main session debates.)

(4) Improving participating from developing countries has been identified as
a critical issue by the IGFs to date. We are concerned that this issue is
not being adequately addressed. We will specifically like to know about the
funding support available for participation of civil society  from
developing countries. We note that the September consultations may be too
late to manage a smooth process for allocating funds, and request that
immediate action be taken in this regard, and the IGC informed about it.

Thank you,

Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org