still important (Fwd: IMPORTANT Fwd: [governance] important:

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Aug 12 05:27:00 EDT 2008

Parminder,

>Adam (and Others)
>
>  >No comments on the Hyderabad programme?
>
>If this question is for the IGC, then to reply
>that no, we haven¹t and wont be developing any
>comments for inclusion in the consultation
>documents.

It is a question for the caucus (I've been asking
for a while now) and also for anyone else who
might wish to comment now. Idea is to comment on
the programme documents, could be on substance or
process or both.

Perhaps the CS MAG members have done a very poor
job of communicating the importance of getting
comments in during the public comment periods.
By and large, IGF procedures are based around
rolling documents, if you comment in time those
comments will be taken into consideration. They
will be included in synthesis papers, or revised
versions of existing documents.  Papers submitted
during the public comment periods also tend to be
read by participants before the consultations
(MAG members will often refer to such documents
-- honestly, quite a few do prepare for meetings,
they read the available documents.)  Miss the
public comments and you are at a disadvantage.
Basically always one step behind.

But let's not argue about this until the next
opportunity (Probably be a consultation in
February 2009.)

>However we intend to work for a statement for the consultations proper.

Which unfortunately will be too late to have much impact.

Why not throw a few things together now?

>I propose some issues for this, which may be taken up for discussion.
>
>1. Substantive issues
>
>(a)    Rights issues in the IGF

OK.  Endorse the Bill of Rights (and say we support it in our separate letter.)

>(b)    How will the 'taking stock and way
>forward' session will be organized in view of
>the start of the process of IGF review in 2009.
>Innovative and purposeful possibilities. Is
>there any possibility of bottom up organising of
>this session as main session workshops are being
>organized. In any case, to ask for  a role for
>the IGC which did orgnaise a workshop on this
>theme in Rio and will again do so.

Contribution on the Hyderabad Programme Paper

(1)  The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus
fully supports the letter sent by the Internet
Bill of Rights Coalition "Rights as core theme of
the IGF".  The issue of rights and the Internet
must remain a central theme of the IGF process.

(2) About the taking stock and way forward
session: we suggest that this session be
organized in the same "bottom-up" manner as the
other main session workshops and debates.  In
light of para 76 of the Tunis Agenda,

    "76. We ask the UN Secretary-General to
examine the desirability of the continuation of
the Forum, in formal consultation with Forum
participants, within five years of its creation,
and to make recommendations to the UN Membership
in this regard."

it is important that a review and evaluation of the IGF begins promptly.

The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus is
organizing a workshop "The role and mandate of
the IGF"
<http://www.intgovforum.org/workshops_08/showmelist.php?mem=71>
and we would be pleased if this workshop could
help support discussion during the taking stock
session.  We would be pleased to work with the
MAG and all other stakeholders in discussions to
begin the process of review and evaluation of the
IGF and how to best to include this important
topic in the taking stock and way forward session
at the Hyderabad meeting.

>(c)     Issues of rights and universalisation in access space

You won't get agreement now.  But might by September.

>(d)   others

Don't know so of course can't be done now.

>2. Process issues
>
>(a)    Processes involved in organizing main
>session workshops and debated (this is the
>biggest promise of the new format, and I also
>have the greatest amount of concern in this
>area). Nature of MAG WGs, how formed, what kind
>of outside representation etc, diversity/
>representation in outside representation
>(b)   Individual workshops reporting back ­ any issues?
>(c)    Dynamic coalitions ­ integration with
>main program space, structural involvement with
>main session workshops and debates

(3)  The process of merging individually proposed
workshops and setting-up the working groups that
are now developing the main session workshops has
been very unclear.  How were some workshops
accepted in these working groups and some not?
What efforts have been made to ensure that a
balanced representation of views is present in
each of the working groups organizing the main
session workshops?

The caucus believes this process has not worked
well, we would like clarification of the process
and to be assured that all stakeholders will have
the equal opportunity to participate in the
working groups developing the main session
workshops (and therefore greatly influencing the
main session debates.)

>(d)   Others
>
>3. Logistics

I expect will be announced.   Rumor has it all
under control.  But add a note saying

(4) We would like to hear about logistical
arrangements for the meetings, particularly the
daily schedule (start, finish, breaks etc),
information about hotels, particularly affordable
hotels, food and refreshments, Internet cafes,
and the IGF Village.

>4. Funding of participation of civil society,
>especially from the developing countries. (I
>remember that last time they said there were
>some funds but their remained lack of clarity
>about whether they were used, if so how, if not
>why etc. I think we should right away write a
>letter on this issue to the secretariat and not
>even wait for the September consultation, which
>may be too late).

(5) Will there be funds to support participants
from developing countries and civil society?
Could we please have details of this. We note
that the September consultations may be too late
to manage a smooth process for allocating funds.
Improving participating from developing countries
has been identified as a critical issue by the
IGFs to date, we are concerned that it is not
being adequately addressed.

1 to 5 make a letter.  Why not just send it.    Anyone object to 1-5 above?

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org