[governance] DNSSEC, was USG on ICANN - no movement here

John Levine icggov at johnlevine.com
Mon Aug 11 17:55:48 EDT 2008

>For instance, in the case of Verisign adding a wildcard to the .com
>zone, there were secondaries that took out that resource record.
>DNSSEC will put a stop to the option of secondaries to change the
>content of the zone.

Secondaries? Of .COM? Really? Of a zone with 180 million records?

All the countermeasures I know to the .COM wildcard were ad-hoc hacks
in caches or resolvers that looked for the specific IP address in
VRSN's wildcard A record and pretended it got NXDOMAIN.  You can still
do that with DNSSEC.

I agree that more complex spoofs like the ones where ISPs substitute
their own result for NXDOMAIN will be harder, but in general I think
that's more good than bad.

R's,
John

     governance at lists.cpsr.org