[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon Aug 11 17:34:53 EDT 2008

Hi,

Been in transit lately and when not, biting my tongue.

A few points:
Addressing Karl's 1) & 2) The DARPA->NSF->NTIA/DOC passage of various US federal levers over the net/ICANN are well-documented, and I expect will stand up to legal scrutiny, even in a California court
a) Karl's more subtle point that ICANN is NOT formally obliged to do anything the US federal government/NTIA tells it to do, is surely correct, and explains why NTIA is now obliged to send somewhat whiny notes to ICANN just like everyone else, if it wants something done
b) which suggests that the most plausible path toward multistakeholder evolution of control remains going through ICANN, in my opinion, in spite of its faults, such as
b)1 in spite of the various breaches of proper administrative procedure as can be pointed to in things like the .XXX decision courtesy of a Karl Rove/White House phone call, or the apparent petty harrassment of .ir over switching fax numbers on a timely basis
c) to be fair to ICANN, it is all of 10 years old (who's throwing the party? ; ), and sometimes seems to act with the maturity and thoughtfulness, of my 10 year old (who is mature for her age, but only sometimes).

with regard to 3), I agree, that first in the final days of the Bush administration one would be truly shocked if the NTIA said anything other than what it did; second, neither Obama nor McCain will 'lose' the Internet, nor wish to be put in a political position in which they could be accused of the same; which suggests that an evolutionary political - technical process, in which ICANN is one but not the only international actor, is the way forward, since the USG won't let go of any lever without a credible and perceived to be fair and operationally effective alternative. It's political, sure, but the economic importance of the net means all governments will tread carefully here.

On 4), while Karl has elucidated how and why multiple roots can work without disruption, the bigger challenge remains that which Parminder has spoken up about, and which many seem to shy away from, explicating how enhanced cooperation on Internet governance can evolve to include governments, business and civil society interests from North and South, and East and West,  in appropriate oversight of a globally distributed system of systems, containing many many networks of networks.  The vehemence with which we often find ourselves interacting on this list is just a small taste of how hard this will be, but I remain optimistic that as IGF grows up, it can play a helpful role in a more multistakeholder 'enhanced cooperation' process, than the closed-door, governments only process to date. And I don't see this as a simple thing to vote on, it will take time and effort to work this all through.  Definitely more time than the Bush administration has left.

In sum, considering the commercial Internet is just a teenager, and ICANN is even younger, things could be way worse than they are - let's look on te bright side. If we could only maintain a modest degree of focus here on the list, we might actually make a contribution ourselves to getting a net which serves civil society first and foremost! (and I am part of the we, so please take that as self-criticism)

Lee