vote on "Sense of the Caucus" (was Re: [governance] Re: USG onICANN

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 10 03:24:57 EDT 2008

Avri and all,

  Thanks for helping making the case why ICANN needs adult
supervision.  This paradigm of inter-agency-Noncom groups
cooperation is a pipe dream, but yes it is a nice pipe dream.
Reality of history tells us someone has to be in charge to
supervise such dreams in a realistic manner.  DOC/NTIA
hasn't been perfict, or at times even really good at doing so,
but is far better than no supervision at all.

Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Interesting idea, but i think it would take more then a name of an
> idea to know how to choose.  E.g. what does enhanced cooperation
> mean?  it takes more then a name to represent an idea.
>
> now if the proponents of each of these ideas were to take the time to
> explain what they mean and how it would work, we might have a
> worthwhile polling exercise.
>
> some might argue that this is a waste of effort since this narrow
> topic is not the important one or not one we can do anything about.  i
> am not sure whether i actually agree or not, what i do believe is that
> topic is the political gorilla in the room and under we reach some
> closure on it, we are not going to move on to all  the other pressing
> issues.  while this issue, the USG unilateral control on the root,
> remains a issue that divides us between those who think it is a US
> finger to the world and those who believe it is the only possible
> solution for security and stability we do not seem to be going anywhere.
>
> this is true for the small microcosm of the IGC as well.  so maybe
> after we finish the elections and before we start  the election to
> renew/replace PS it might be interesting to see where we fall in this
> discussion.  how do those who do not write messages statiscally feel
> on this subject?  i would be curious to know.
>
> a.
>
> On 10 Aug 2008, at 10:05, McTim wrote:
> >

> > Perhaps a useful way to move forward is to have a vote on a general
> > direction the caucus would like to move on this issue.  Since, thanks
> > to IGP folk, we have web voting possibilities, we can have multiple
> > choices, from this thread, we seem to have these general positions:
> >
> > A) take the DOC at their word that they will never under
> > any plausible conditions relinquish their authority over the DNS root
> > and, hence, over ICANN, and that caucus efforts to change this will be
> > unproductive.
> >
> > B) it's an inappropriate structure for a global network, whether
> > managed benignly or not. It has to change
> >
> > C) it might be useful to see what could be done, in cooperation with
> > other interested stakeholders, to bring about that which should happen
> > no matter how much DOC says it won't.
> >
> > D) Enhanced cooperation - EC
> >
> > E) The IGF - clearly a multi-stakeholder body - which could have
> > possibly developed towards various possibilities of greater soft etc
> > power.
> >
> > F) For the next review of the JPA, have list members tell the NTIA
> > how we could have rock solid guarantees of exactly the same levels of
> > security, stability, and control in the last instance as now.
> >
> > G) for ICANN to move offshore, restructure, set up an alternative
> > authorisation structure with the UN, create another A root
> >
> > H) ICANN MOU with the UN
> >
> > I) terminating the JPA
> >
> > J) internet can have multiple, consistent root systems
> >
> > K) None of the above

> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com