vote on "Sense of the Caucus" (was Re: [governance] Re: USG on ICANN - no movement here)

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Aug 10 11:39:54 EDT 2008

Hi,

Interesting idea, but i think it would take more then a name of an
idea to know how to choose.  E.g. what does enhanced cooperation
mean?  it takes more then a name to represent an idea.

now if the proponents of each of these ideas were to take the time to
explain what they mean and how it would work, we might have a
worthwhile polling exercise.

some might argue that this is a waste of effort since this narrow
topic is not the important one or not one we can do anything about.  i
am not sure whether i actually agree or not, what i do believe is that
topic is the political gorilla in the room and under we reach some
closure on it, we are not going to move on to all  the other pressing
issues.  while this issue, the USG unilateral control on the root,
remains a issue that divides us between those who think it is a US
finger to the world and those who believe it is the only possible
solution for security and stability we do not seem to be going anywhere.

this is true for the small microcosm of the IGC as well.  so maybe
after we finish the elections and before we start  the election to
renew/replace PS it might be interesting to see where we fall in this
discussion.  how do those who do not write messages statiscally feel
on this subject?  i would be curious to know.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org