[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 01:30:12 EDT 2008

Hello Milton,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:26 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>> not to mention not physically possible, as countries don't "get" IP
>> addresses, organisations do.
>
> McTim, there is nothing "physically impossible" about delegating IP
> addresses to nations first.

Well, in terms of v4, it's certainly not possible, as there are not
enough addresses left, perhaps I should have been more specific.  My
points remain however;

A) it's not the current model of allocation
B) it's unlikely that the IANA would allocate to countries (instead of
to RIRs, as the nro would have smt to say about this idea).
C) This was not (and is still not) well understood````

We probably agree that it is politically

technically undesirable due to deaggregation (or lack of aggregation
to be more precise).

> undesirable, but don't make the mistake of trying to make a policy point
> by making false technical claims.

not a technical claim at all, was merely pointing out that you can't
allocate on a grand scale something that you don't possess on such a
scale (IPv4).

--
Cheers,

McTim