[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 10 03:18:55 EDT 2008

Carlos and all,

  I own stock in Verisign, and the holding company is SAIC, which
is also headquartered in Virginia, for your information.  Verisign is
no longer in the fortune 1000 list, true enough, but in the IT space
is still extremely influencial and has a ton of cash on hand, which
may be why it has dropped from the fortune 1000 list.

Carlos Afonso wrote:

> As usual, a well done summary of the situation by Karl. I have been in
> favor of a "network model" for the DNS, since I started dealing with
> these themes in the early nineties, as opposed to the centralized one we
> have today (considered by the powers-that-be as irreplaceable paradigm,
> to the point that many techies with plenty of post-docs in their CVs
> tremble at the mere mention of challenging it, like "the world is
> obviously flat!"). But it is clear to me that extra-technical factors
> impose the continuity of the current paradigm (with technical
> explanations conveniently seduced to defend it).
>
> BTW, Verisign is traded in NASDAQ and is pretty small (it recently
> dropped from the Fortune-1000 companies' list) compared to the
> multibillion-dollar transactions we see today among transnational
> conglomerates. It could very well be controlled by a financial
> speculator from Qatar, China, Russia, or even Brazil :) A curious way of
> moving power over ICANN away from the USA. After all, those "aliens" are
> buying other US companies, including some US banks! Who knows, maybe
> they already own Verisign, which is attractive not necessarily because
> it is a gTLD near-monopoly which keeps its regulator on leash, but
> because it has a relevant e-certification business.
>
> --c.a.
>
> Karl Auerbach wrote:
> > Michael Gurstein wrote:
> >
> >> It seems to me that the issue here is whether the term
> >> "neo-imperialism"...
> >
> > Or, to be more in vogue, "i-imperalism" or "e-imperalism". ;-)
> >
> > As my mailbox fill and overflows with the gnashing of teeth and
> > shredding of garments about the US Dept of Commerce statement certain
> > "facts-of-life" come to my mind:
> >
> > 1. It is not at all clear that the US Dep't of Commerce has the legal
> > authority to bind the US to any path in this area whatsoever.  (But my
> > government has over the last couple of decades rather lost the notion
> > that legal authority is a prerequisite for anything, sigh.)
> >
> > 2. But even if the US Dep't of Commerc does not have the legal
> > authority, certainly the US gov't as a whole *does* have the power to
> > impose its will on ICANN, which exists as a legal entity in California
> > which, last time I looked, is still part of the US.  And even if ICANN
> > were not a creature of US law there is still the fact that Verisign,
> > which currently has the contract to do the root zone, isn't going to
> > move from the US any time soon.
> >
> > 3. The political situation here in the US makes it pretty much
> > impossible for any political animal in gov't to advocate, or even simply
> > overlook, any path that would take the ultimate lever of control out of
> > US hands.  The 1950's may be a long time ago to some of us, but the US
> > gov't still wonders "who is the man who lost China" and fears being
> > labeled as having "lost the internet".  Yes, our gov't needs adult
> > supervision, but that's been true ever since 1789.  Nobody should expect
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com