[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Aug 10 12:02:40 EDT 2008

On 9 Aug 2008, at 20:18, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> There is no reason whatsoever that the internet can not have
> multiple, consistent root systems, each offering up its own
> perception of the proper set of top level domains (disputes over
> conflicts of names of TLDs would be handled by exactly the same
> international mechanisms used today to deal with global brand names,
> and besides, if you or your ISP don't like what one root zone offers
> you can simply use one you like better.)
>
> That system can work, and work without chaos, and it is quite in
> line with the way that we work as humans in a multi-lingual world.
> It is only our own mental blocks that prevent this from happening
> and obviating any single overlord of names on the internet.

i find it hard to believe it is just mental blocks that have stopped
this from happening.  the more i think about it the more questions i
have (and i hope the powers that be forgive me for taking this taboo
subject seriously)

assuming it is not just mental block that prevents anyone from doing
this, how come it hasn't happened?  why do all those frustrated by
ICANN, or turned off by the exaggerated pricing we are bound to see
for new TLDs,  still supplicating at ICANN's door.

- lack of political will?  why do all those frustrated governments
keeping waiting for USG/ICANN blessing?

- people do not believe it is technically possible?  i.e. it is easy
to say if can be done technically, but has anyone really laid out a
plan and showed how it can work - running code and all of that?

- some really good reason we are missing?

another question i have, would this be yet another mechanism that
would allow for restriction of freedom of expression and  freedom of
communication?    would ISPs become the new arbiter of who we would
have access to?  i.e my provider could restricted me to the family
friendly DNS?

or would it be possible for users to pick any DNS tree, or mixture of
DNS trees, they wished?

could this model bring us a new form of provider, the global DNS
provider, who gave use unfettered access to all possible roots?

it is an interesting idea that you and others have been talking about
for yeas, yet i never see more discussion of it then a idea presented
and then ignored.  why is that?  i know you have your own ideas on
TLDs and even have your own .ewe (love the name) .  why has it not
flown yet and why is it not breaking this ground open - especially if
it is such a fertile field and an obvious solution?

- does the whole idea just need a good business plan?

or do you really believe it just needs a paradigm shift.?

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org