[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

John Levine icggov at johnlevine.com
Fri Aug 8 01:31:14 EDT 2008

Hi.  I'm back.

>Or what about an ICANN MOU with the UN as a first step? That appeals
>to me as something that might get traction at both ends and we could
>support.

Hmmn.  How would that be different in practice from handing it to the
ITU?  I don't think the ITU is particularly evil, but I also don't
think that it would be likely to do a good job overseeing the
Internet.  The chances of something really bad happening would be much
higher, e.g., a bunch of small countries gang up and demand that each
country gets the same number of IP addresses, or something else that
has superficial political appeal but would be technically disastrous.

R's,
John

     governance at lists.cpsr.org