[governance] Taking down a site [was: beijing ticket scam]

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Wed Aug 6 11:27:54 EDT 2008

I strongly support Lisa's points.  Not to disagree
with Milton and Rony about content one does
not like.  I support their views.

But I think we have to be able to talk about
rights and not just make assumptions if we are
going to break the deadlock we found in WSIS
between rigths-friendly countries, mostly from
the developed world, and the many developing
country governments that are not very 'rights-
friendly' and whose citizens tend not to prioritise
rights.

This really important e.g. here in South Africa
where we have a good rights-framework on
paper, but not in every-day practice.  Often the
same policy makers who will claim superiority
because of South Africa's fantastic constitution
will advocacy for censorship on the internet in
the interests of child-protection.

On the one hand this is because rights
awareness and commitment to rights is pretty
fragile here at the moment, but on the other
hand it is often just because they don't
understand what rights are and how the
principles should underpin new areas of policy.

Anriette

PS - can't we change this subject line?