[governance] Taking down a site [was: beijing ticket scam]

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 11:10:59 EDT 2008

I agree that this might not be the best or most clear cut case to start
working with.  But basically what I'm trying to suggest is that we try
and work out how to build on the 60 years of development of the
international human rights system so that it is capable of addressing
and providing guidance on relevant social and ethical issues that have
arisen with the evolution of the internet.  The system includes
frameworks for balancing out tensions between competing rights and
responsibilities - indeed in this particular case it could well be ruled
that the site doesn't constitute sufficient 'incitement to cause harm'
to justify action.  Obviously the system isn't geared to rule on issues
such as the Beijing scam - there are more appropriate arenas for that
(although I think we'd all agree that they can't argue against
regulation of their site on free expression grounds...).  But it's
exactly these kinds of grey issues around FoE that the human rights
system is capable of dealing with, or at least should be.

I just think that it's important that the human rights framework is used
in the first place - to benefit from its 60 years of evolving to deal
with such issues, to ensure that it is kept up to date with salient
issues of our time and to ensure that norms underlying internet
governance support human rights.  Obviously dealing with cases in this
way wouldn't work in regions that do not have human rights institutions
that act in accordance with international standards.  But South Africa
has one of the most progressive rights regimes in the world, supported
in turn by the African Charter and the Declaration of Principles on
Freedom of Expression in Africa - the most progressive elaboration of
FoE in any international agreement (depending of course on your
interpretation of 'progressive').  Cases might of course have different
outcomes in different countries according to different conceptions of
rights, the most obvious being between the USA and other countries
concerning acceptable limitations on FoE.  But the human rights system
has developed to cope with 'trans-boundary' differences of
interpretation and opinion: it's by no means perfect but it hasn't
collapsed because of them.

Rather than avoiding using the human rights framework for fear that it
will serve as a cover for restrictions on rights, we need to work with
and develop the system to make sure that it's capable of addressing
these issues.  I'm keen to work out how we can do this.

I'm thinking in terms wider than the specific issue of what constitutes
acceptable limitations on FoE.  But in this specific case, in short, the
tools and systems are in place to determine whether Rui's site does
constitute a violation of rights in South Africa, or whether, as you
argue, a legitimate means of expression as they would be ruled to be in
the USA (and as Rony pointed out, possibly elsewhere).  The fact that
they are in place is a positive thing that we can build on and work
with.