[governance] Taking down a site [was: beijing ticket scam]

Lisa Horner lisa at global-partners.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 07:09:58 EDT 2008

Echoing Ian, I wonder if it would be worth filing a complaint with the South African Human Rights Commission?  The SA bill of rights states that freedom of expression doesn't extend to "advocacy of hatred that is based on race, ethnicity, gender or religion, and that constitutes incitement to cause harm." Is this supported by any other legislation in SA?

So many of our discussions around internet governance issues can be approached from a rights perspective, but human rights lawyers and institutions are usually absent from the debate.  Human rights and their associated tools and mechanisms are arguably one of the only global governance institutions that is 'thickening' in the current age of 'globalisation'.  Human rights approaches also have an inbuilt framework for balancing out tensions between different rights and responsibilities.  However, there's still a lot of work to be done in bringing them up to date and ensuring that they're capable of dealing with new issues, including those relating to freedom of expression and the internet.  I wonder if engaging directly with national human rights institutions is one way of starting that process?

In a way, this is linked to Anriette's comment that many new campaigns around rights are a-historical.  Similarly, I think that they should be rooted in, or at least have a firm understanding of, existing human rights institutions, both formal and informal and at all scales.  We've just commissioned some research into how policy principles based around notions such as net neutrality, interoperability, universal access and content diversity can be rooted in the international human rights system which will hopefully yield some interesting insights...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lisa

Lisa Horner
Head of Research and Policy Unit
Global Partners and Associates
4th Floor Holborn Gate, 26 Southampton Buildings, London, WC2A 1AH
Office: + 44 207 861 3960          Mobile: +44 7867 795859
lisa at global-partners.co.uk  www.global-partners.co.uk