[process] Re: [governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 5 04:18:25 EDT 2008

McTim and all,

  I can't see where Parminder said anything abusive.  Sure he
may disagree with the "Messenger", even strongly, but that
hardly is any form af abuse.  Just my two cents...

  McTim if DOC/NTIA released the Roots management, and
therefore ICANN/IANA, whom do  you suggest pick up that
oversight, specifically?  Or should ICANN operate without
any government or other authoritative oversight?  Obama,
should he become the Pres., wants an Internet Czar, and
will likely get it.

  And BTW, McTim, I been involved sense long before ICANN
was even in anyone's imagination, and was present when ICANN
was formulated.

  You see McTim, anyone can criticize DOC/NTIA from the outside,
and I as well have done so on more than one occasion.  But without
recommending an alternative, one looses ones viability as to what should
be done.  What ICANN has on several occasions indicated indirectly
is that it wants to be cut free of oversight all together and move to
Geneva.  For this reason, amongst many others, DOC/NTIA is going
to be very reluctant in releasing them from their contractual agreement.

  Secondly, as ICANN has yet to fulfill it's mandate in the MOU, release
would be unwise and certainly premature.  When ICANN fully and
without complication or equivocation recognizes in it's structure that
the user is king, as it were, they seriously need adult or something
approaching adult supervision.  The ITU, nor any other UN organ
can adequately provide for that oversight, given their controversial
long history.

McTim wrote:

> Parminder,
>
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > In political arenas one who clearly professes a political position (as John
> > Levine unapologetically does to a neo-imperialist ideology -
>
> This is, to me, a personal insult, which is prohibited by our charter.
>
> Quoting the charter:
>
> "Some of the specific guidelines that will be enforced include those
> relating to:

>             No personal insults
>
>             No spam
>     *
>
>       Failure to abide by netiquette guidelines may result in
> suspension or removal from the IGC list according to the following
> process:
>
>             The coordinators will first warn a subscriber privately of
> the problem"
>
> If the insulter wasn't our only coordinator, I would ask that the
> other coordinator privately warn him against this sort of behaviour.
> At the very least, you should withdraw your use of the term
> "neo-imperialist", and apologise to JL publicly.
>
> 'things aren't
> > going to change, just accept and submit to the big bully')
>
> This is:
>
> A) not what he said
> B) not "neo-imperialist" (according to the only definition of it I
> could find online:
> http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=neo-imperialism)
>
> As a (very) long time ICANN watcher and participant, JL (who I have
> never met personally BTW) has a much greater range of experience on
> these issues than most on this list.  Pointing out the facts ("The US
> DOC has always made it crystal clear that they will never under any
> plausible conditions relinquish their authority over the DNS root and,
> hence, over ICANN.") can only help this caucus come to an informed
> perspective on this issue, and should not draw personal attacks (don't
> shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message).
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
> mctim.blogspot.com

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com