[process] Re: [governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 01:13:35 EDT 2008

Parminder,

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

<snip>

> In political arenas one who clearly professes a political position (as John
> Levine unapologetically does to a neo-imperialist ideology -

This is, to me, a personal insult, which is prohibited by our charter.

Quoting the charter:

"Some of the specific guidelines that will be enforced include those
relating to:

            No personal insults

            No spam
    *

      Failure to abide by netiquette guidelines may result in
suspension or removal from the IGC list according to the following
process:

            The coordinators will first warn a subscriber privately of
the problem"

If the insulter wasn't our only coordinator, I would ask that the
other coordinator privately warn him against this sort of behaviour.
At the very least, you should withdraw your use of the term
"neo-imperialist", and apologise to JL publicly.

'things aren't
> going to change, just accept and submit to the big bully')

This is:

A) not what he said
B) not "neo-imperialist" (according to the only definition of it I
could find online:
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=neo-imperialism)

As a (very) long time ICANN watcher and participant, JL (who I have
never met personally BTW) has a much greater range of experience on
these issues than most on this list.  Pointing out the facts ("The US
DOC has always made it crystal clear that they will never under any
plausible conditions relinquish their authority over the DNS root and,
hence, over ICANN.") can only help this caucus come to an informed
perspective on this issue, and should not draw personal attacks (don't
shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message).

--
Cheers,

McTim
mctim.blogspot.com