[governance] Taking down a site [was: beijing ticket scam]

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Mon Aug 4 23:06:36 EDT 2008

Ian, Rui, and all,

  Not a difficult problem to deal with at all.  All Rui needs to do
is block the Domain Name and he shall not recieve any more
traffic from that DN.  Problen solved.  Now that said, it on the
other had he is attempting to seek broad censor of that DN,
than yes, contacting his countries authorities might be in order,
as long as he has good reason to seek such a censor.

Ian Peter wrote:

> Hi Rui,
>
> Not sure I am best to answer, but as you addressed this to me I'll attempt a
> reply and invite others closer to this to also pass on information.
>
> Sounds like this is not a police matter. If it was breaking a law in your
> country, that's a good place to start. If so, then they might be able to do
> something in taking a site down if the site happens to have an owner, a
> registry, a registrar, a server, and other pertinent attributes all located
> in South Africa. (please those more knowledgeable here correct me if I am
> wrong). Similarly, if there is a Human Rights Commissioner or equivalent in
> the country concerned, they might be able to act if conditions as broadly
> described above apply.
>
> In this case we seem to be dealing with bad taste however. What top level
> domain (or cctld) is involved? What is their policy (if they have one?) Is
> the required action to remove the site, fix the offending content, issue a
> warning? Would they undertake to do any of these or would they say we can
> only act if this is a police matter?
>
> And in this case, would those writing defend this as their right to free
> speech, in which case additional parameters might come into play?
>
> I don't think the answer is easy currently and matters that run close to
> censorship issues will never be easy. However, do we need an equivalent of
> UDRP (ICANN's Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy) to deal with
> this? A bit of industry self regulation? Code of Content guidelines? Or an
> Internet Ombudsman?
>
> It's a difficult area as far as I can see.
>
> Ian Peter
> Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
> PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000
> Australia
> Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
> www.ianpeter.com

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com