[governance] beijing ticket scam - is this governed at all?

linda misek-falkoff ldmisekfalkoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 11:05:12 EDT 2008

Dear Ian and All,

Very interesting (and worrisome of course) -

contemporaneous with e.g. New York Times and other media announcements that
web access to and from China will be widening now!

Warm regards, Linda.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 4:53 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> Some time about March this year a major scam site called
> www.beijingticketing.com <http://www.beijingticketing.com/>
>
> was apparently first exposed as fraudulent but not too many people took any
> notice Today it is all over the news as many people have purchased fake
> Olympic tickets and lost their money.
>

> But what surprises me is that, a good 8 hours after major news stories
> about
> the site, it is still operating as I write this message. And it still
> appears in Google search results.
>

> Very interested in analysis of why this is so when it is a known major
> fraud
> site that has victims in many countries. Is there any mechanism to stop
> major international scams? Or is it just a matter of waiting until everyone
> else wakes up? Apparently there is a court case in California today to
> close
> down the site? Is this because the registry or the registrar is located in
> the USA?
>

> An interesting case study for the workshop on transboundary issues! Very
> interested in more information if anyone has it.
>

> Ian Peter
>
> Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
>
> PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000
>
> Australia
>
> Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
>
> www.ianpeter.com

:) LDMF.
Dr. Linda D. Misek-Falkoff
*Respectful Interfaces*
For I.D.:
Communications Coordination Committee for the U.N.
CONGO Education Committee
Annual DPI NGO COnference Planning Committee & SubCommittes.
National Disability Party
International Disability Caucus
Persons with Pain International
WSIS, IGF, CFP onsite participant.
2007 Nominee: Global Alliance for ICT Strategy Council.
4+ decades on Internet and Prior Nets
Other Affiliations on Request.