[governance] beijing ticket scam - is this governed at all?

Jeffrey A. Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 3 23:48:44 EDT 2008

Ian and all,

  Self regulation doesn't work, and historically has never worked
unless or until there has been strong oversight by a governmental
body/organization with statutory powers to enforce.

Ian Peter wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I'm not sure it's as black and white as that - in traditional media (in this
> country, and a few others as well) self regulation is a large part of the
> way things operate. And - although I disagree with it - the medical
> profession operates largely under self regulation. In both these cases (and
> I am sure there are many others) industries take it upon themselves to deal
> with their problems in a collegiate manner.
>
> With Internet a degree of this is necessary. For instance, police cannot
> take down a site without industry action - they can only arrest and charge
> people. But that gets complicated because in a few of these cases both
> jurisdiction and law are quite blurred - the recent case of a British
> citizen living in Spain, with Internet servers in the Bahamas, selling
> holidays to Cuba, and having his domain name impounded by a registrar
> located in the USA because it appeared to break the US embargo against Cuba
> is one recent case in point.
>
> And as John mentioned, phishing is of the magnitude of several new sites a
> day. That's beyond Interpol resources who probably should concentrate on
> child porn and similar issues if there resources are thinly spread - and in
> Rio I spent some time talking to a Dutch regulator who felt he could only
> rely on about 3 or so countries to co-operate on phishing issues.
>
> Yes, there probably should be a policing role here and police do get
> involved with APWG. And there probably should be clear legal structures as
> well. But should the Internet industry wait until police issue them with a
> subpoena in an appropriate range of jurisdictions before taking action? Or
> when there is a known problem should they act in accordance with some Code
> of Conduct or agreed mechanism? I guess that's what I meant by
> self-regulation.
>
> For instance, if a bank reports a fake site which is luring their customers,
> should the Internet industry take no action until instructed to do so by the
> police? (and I guess if it should act, in what ways, and what mechanisms are
> in place to ensure effective industry action?)
>
> Ian Peter
> Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
> PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000
> Australia
> Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
> www.ianpeter.com

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

P: i.e., whether B is less than PL."
Updated 1/26/04
jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com