[governance] beijing ticket scam - is this governed at all?

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Aug 4 04:53:39 EDT 2008

Some time about March this year a major scam site called
www.beijingticketing.com <http://www.beijingticketing.com/>

was apparently first exposed as fraudulent but not too many people took any
notice Today it is all over the news as many people have purchased fake
Olympic tickets and lost their money.

But what surprises me is that, a good 8 hours after major news stories about
the site, it is still operating as I write this message. And it still
appears in Google search results.

Very interested in analysis of why this is so when it is a known major fraud
site that has victims in many countries. Is there any mechanism to stop
major international scams? Or is it just a matter of waiting until everyone
else wakes up? Apparently there is a court case in California today to close
down the site? Is this because the registry or the registrar is located in
the USA?

An interesting case study for the workshop on transboundary issues! Very
interested in more information if anyone has it.

Ian Peter

Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd

PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000

Australia

Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773

www.ianpeter.com