[governance] USG on ICANN - no movement here

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Aug 3 08:32:35 EDT 2008

On 3 Aug 2008, at 14:05, John Levine wrote:

> Regardless, the US DOC isn't going away, so I'll be interested to see
> to what extent the governance crowd would prefer to demand changes
> that won't happen or would prefer to figure out how to work in the
> world that actually exists.

while working in the world that exists is of course a tactical
necessity, one wonders whether it might be useful to see what could be
done, in cooperation with other interested stakeholders, to bring
about that which should happen no matter how much DOC says it won't.

DOC saying it won't let go, largely because of the current US mania
for holding on to so called 'strategic' resources, can't be allowed to
be the last word in this saga.  It is a bargaining position.  i think
the question becomes how does one get around this particular
bargaining position.

a.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org