Deadline for MAG candidates ? Re: [governance] Stepping down

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Wed Apr 30 09:20:02 EDT 2008

Dear Meryem
Dear friends
Dear Markus

c/c Markus Kummer
c/c IGC  list
c/c WSIS-Gov list

Yes indeed, seeing the diligence of the IGC to nominate candidates to
the MAG, I thought I have been missing
something ( I have been overworked lately and did not have time to read
all the mails on the IGC list. )

Following informal discussions we had, Louis, Michel, Chantal, me and
others, with Markus last Monday morning,
it appears that the secretariat is going to announce shortly a call for
candidates for the MAG in conditions
that would be clearly enunciated. A delay of one month should be given
between the official call and
the response to call, leaving a decent time for various constituencies
to propose  their slate of candidates.
I have put Markus in c/c so that he could clarify issues for both the
IGC and WSIS-Gov groups,
and correct my understanding if needed.

My guess, to be confirmed by Louis,  is that the WSIS-Gov group is going
to wait for  the official announcement,
before starting a process for proposing candidates, because otherwise,
it is like shooting in the dark.
It is necessary to know who are going to leave the MAG in the first place.

It seems to a few of us,  that the deadline for application for
workshops was really too early,
making difficult for  many people to present a rather delineated
proposal as requested,
resulting into a rather selective, non-inclusive process.
It is my understanding that the secretariat will be flexible for the
deadlines, and would be satisfied with
declaration of intent to be completed at a later stage.  It is my
understanding the intent of such an early
call is to have a first rough assessment of the number and nature of
workshops.

There are some points where we are expecting some more information from
the organizers, especially the
ICT village with booths.
This would be particularly relevant to main workshops related to the
theme*  */low cost sustainable access/
where low cost devices could be displayed in booths and demonstrated to
stakeholders, as for example,
it is under consideration to do within a contribution from the
Digital World Forum on Accessible and Inclusive ICT
<http://www.digitalworldforum.eu/>
What is the size of the place ? size of the booths ?
The question is whether the ICT Village would be entirely into the UN
zone, or we could have a separate
exhibition place outside the UN zone where it would be easier place for
an exhibition.

As many people are focusing their attention to the 12-23 May 2008
Cluster of WSIS-related events <http://wsis-si.org/cluster-may08.html>
my own suggestion is that more precise information about workshops
proposals; ( and
new proposals )  should be allowed to be given in  the end of June,
beginning of July,
to take full advantage of the Cluster of WSIS-related events
<http://wsis-si.org/cluster-may08.html> so that people have more time
and opportunity to network and bring synergies,
for example concerning the themes :
/Arrangements for Internet governance /
with the Stakeholder Consultation on Public Participation in Internet
Governance <http://www.unece.org/env/pp/related.htm> ( UNECE / APC )

/Multilingualization /with the
  <http://wsis-si.org/diversity.html>C8. Cultural diversity and
identity, linguistic diversity and local content
<http://wsis-si.org/diversity.html> action
line meeting, or concerning

/low cost sustainable access /with initiatives
that could emerge from the WSIS  C7 e-learning
<http://wsis-si.org/e-learning.html> action line meeting
( Open Consultative meeting on low-cost devices for education: ICT
Applications:)
and the  C2.Information and communication infrastructure
<http://www.itu.int/wsis/c2/index.html> meeting.

All the best

Francis

> Hi all,
>
> I'm unable to find a deadline for MAG candidates nominations. Does
> anyone know when it is? We need to know if we have time to do anything
> with the rather confused current situation.
>
> Thanks,
> Meryem
>
> Le 30 avr. 08 à 05:06, Robert Guerra a écrit :
>

>> I tried best I could when I had time to work on bringing the nomcom
>> to some kind of closure. The traffic over the last week is - well, is
>> far too much for me to handle in this moment in time for me.
>>
>> So, having contributed my input, funds to make the conference calls
>> possible, and technical assistance to make the nomcom wiki and
>> mailing list possible - i respectfully resign effective immediately
>> as IGC nomcom chair due to inability to contribute the time, energy
>> and effort needed.
>>
>> I will work with whom ever the nomcom chooses as its new chair to
>> complete remaining tasks.
>>

>> regards
>>
>> Robert Guerra

Francis F. MUGUET Ph.D

MDPI Foundation Open Access Journals
http://www.mdpi.org   http://www.mdpi.net
muguet at mdpi.org       muguet at mdpi.net

ENSTA/KNIS  http://knis.org
32 Blvd Victor 75739 PARIS cedex FRANCE
Phone: (33)1 45 52 60 19  Fax: (33)1 45 52 52 82
muguet at ensta.fr   http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet

FP7  Digital World Forum on Accessible and Inclusive ICT
PC4D : http://www.pc4d.org

World Summit On the Information Society (WSIS)
Civil Society Working Groups
Scientific Information :  http://www.wsis-si.org  chair
Patents & Copyrights   :  http://www.wsis-pct.org co-chair
Financing Mechanismns  :  http://www.wsis-finance.org web