[governance] IGF workshops

Max Senges maxsenges at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 13:33:33 EDT 2008

I also support all 4 proposals.

Regarding the Rights Agenda workshop, I'd like to share that the IBR DC is
preparing an additional workshop proposal which deals with the
practicalities of including Rights in Internet Governance. (
http://www.socialtext.net/internet-bill-of-rights/index.cgi?mainstreaming_human_rights_in_the_work_of_the_dynamic_coalitions
)

IMHO the proposed workshop on the Agenda is meant to bring all the folks
interested in Rights together, map the field (synergies and hot topics)  and
start working on a shared agenda.

Max

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

> A yes to all 4 workshop proposals from me as well.
> I hope though that the one on rights will be revised after the submission.
> jeanette
>
> shaila mistry wrote:
>
> > "Yes" to all four workshops
> > Shaila Rao Mistry
> >
> > */Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>/* wrote:
> >

> >    Hi all
> >
> >    Please find enclosed the full text of four workshop proposals, that
> > IGC
> >    proposes to sponsor at the IGF, Hyderabad.
> >
> >    1. The Transboundary Internet: Jurisdiction, Control and Sovereignty
> >
> >    2. The Future of ICANN: After the JPA, What?
> >
> >    3. A Rights Agenda for Internet Governance
> >
> >    4. The role and mandate of the IGF
> >

> >    These are being put for a 48 hour consensus process. If a consensus
> > or a
> >    rough consensus is made out, these proposals will be submitted to
> >    the IGF
> >    secretariat on the 30th, around 5 PM GMT.
> >
> >    Please indicate a clear 'yes' or 'no' for forwarding these proposals,
> > as
> >    they stand...
> >
> >    While additional comments justifying a yes or no vote may be made,
> > they
> >    should follow a clear unqualified 'yes' or 'no'.
> >
> >    In fact such additional comments are welcome especially in case of a
> >    'no'
> >    vote, because it helps calling a possible rough consensus, taking
> > into
> >    consideration the nature and the extent of dissent.
> >
> >    Thanks
> >
> >    Parminder
> >
> >    All, below is a draft workshop proposal that Meryem Marzouki, William
> >    Drake, Ian Peter, Parminder Singh and I have been working on. We plan
> >  to submit it by the deadline, but would like your input and    suggestions,
> > on all aspects.
> >          -- Bret
> >    - - - - - D R A F T - - - - -
> >    1.      Name of proposed workshop
> >    The Transboundary Internet: Jurisdiction, Control and Sovereignty
> >    2.      Provide a concise description of the proposed workshop theme
> >    including its importance and relevance to the IGF.
> >    The Internet crosses the boundaries of all nations and raises some
> >  unique transboundary jurisdictional problems. The recent case of a
> >  British citizen living in Spain, with Internet servers in the Bahamas,
> >  selling holidays to Cuba, and having his domain name impounded by a
> >  registrar located in the USA because it appeared to break the US    embargo
> > against Cuba is one recent case in point. Another landmark    case was the
> > French-US Yahoo! case in 1999 dealing with sale of nazi    memorabilia, but
> > but apart from these high profile content cases there    are many examples
> > in other areas such as privacy, consumer issues,    cybercrime, and
> > intellectual property.
> >    This workshop will discuss the many implications of competing
> [...]

"I meant to tell mankind . . . to attempt a quixotic adventure with no
resources
beyond their native strength and sagacity. I had done it myself and found
not
only that the pearl of great price was worth far more than I possessed, but
that
the very perils and privations of the Quest were themselves my dearest
memories.
I was certain of this at least: that nothing in the world except this was
worth
doing."
- Aleister Crowley, The Confessions

Dr. Max Senges
Stanford Post-Doc Visiting Scholar
UOC Research Associate
Freelance Consultant

98 Loyola Ave., Menlo Park, California 94025

US-Phone: (001) 650 714 9826

www.maxsenges.com
www.knowledgeentrepreneur.com