AW: [governance] enhanced cooperation

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Fri Apr 25 13:56:48 EDT 2008

McTim wrote:

> If that's the case, can you tell me why the IGC should get such a
> letter?  After all, we're not an "organization responsible for
> essential tasks associated with the Internet".
>
> If I were the UN person this task fell to (no one seriously believes
> the SG himself will spend any cycles on this issue, do we?),  I
> wouldn't write a letter to the IGC either.

So, whether or not IGC or IGP propose this, it is still moot. Yet another
IGF panel. Great.  Something on the lines of a tree falling in the woods.

Given that, those that would like to talk about it can go right ahead

Those who actually do something about it would turn up at the forums where
the real work is being done (and you did post one or two links), and
contribute, for a change.

Claiming a right to governance and EC, without deigning to be aware of, or
participating in existing EC processes, is not something that is going to be
productive in any way.

Some of the people here do participate. Various others prefer not to. Which
doesn't help

Carry on hoping. That the IGF will actually do something useful beyond
putting multiple groups in the same room and able to actually work together
on on the ground projects rather than uselessly debate policies, rehashing
the same arguments that have been around for the past several years, not
many of which are likely to fly at all.

And perhaps carry on hoping that Clinton / Obama / McCain instead of Bush
will mean NTIA/DoC will suddenly cede control to civil society, or to a UN
agency, or to a multistakeholder international group ..

Come to think of it, I know at least one fellow traveler on the IG scene
(high level govt apparatchik), who described the IGF (sometime between
Athens and Rio) as "a nice little talk shop.. we'll go, enjoy the beaches in
Rio, talk, talk and talk some more, and then back to business as usual".  He
may well be wrong, and for your sake, I pray that he was wrong.

But, if you don't engage with the right groups, in the right forums, I will
find myself having to agree with the man.

	srs

     governance at lists.cpsr.org