[governance] IGC Nomcom - Slate of candidates

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Apr 24 12:00:57 EDT 2008

Simple answer -- and you should know what it is. You can't re-open a
process like this unless you want to do the whole thing over again. And
that means anyone else dissatisfied, not just you, has the same status
to reopen it.

We chose to do this through a Nomcom process. Nominating Committees are
by definition non-transparent bodies that make selections based on
private discussions among themselves.

You can't say, "we accept a Nominating Committee to make the
recommendations for the caucus" and then say, AFTER you see the results,
"well, no, we don't want the Nomcom to make the decision, we want to
change the results based on complaints on the list." Either the Nomcom
makes the decisions or it doesn't.

Don't like the process? Change it next time.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org