[governance] coordinator elections

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 02:45:14 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

>  McTim and Izumi
>
>  Before I go into engaging with the issues I request you to be fair in this
>  discussion and not keep telling me 'we should follow the charter'.

This implies that Izumi san and I have been unfair. I think this is erroneous.

>  I have said a few times not that I ONLY intend to follow the charter for the
>  practical purposes of (implied in the duties of the co-coordinator) making
>  a voting list (as per the charter, I have to repeat) and a list of IGC
>  members as defined by its membership criteria (again squarely as per the
>  charter).

Here is perhaps where you go off track.

There is nowhere in my reading of the charter (and, since I have
quoted it in the past, i think you could have, fairly, assumed that I
had read it) that pre-election list making is implicit in the duties
of the coordinator.  Nowhere in the charter does the term "voting
list" appear, rather this list, comes post-election.  "A list of the
self-defined member-voters will be published after the election with
the results of the election." and "A list of those who self-affirm
membership, but not their votes, will be published after the vote."

If we want to change the charter, then we need the latest list; "The
membership requirements for amending the charter are based on the most
currently available voters list. In amending the charter, everyone who
voted in the previous election will be deemed a member for amending
the charter."

When I "close-followed" Avri, it meant that I was in agreement with
her interpretation.

--
Cheers,

McTim