[governance] IGC nomcom process and results

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Apr 23 09:44:10 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I don't see any need, nor any sound reason, to criticize the nomcom -
i.e. its members - in this process.

It has been set up in a hurry, with countless messages from Parminder
desperately asking for volunteers. It was even difficult to find a
non voting nomcom chair. And my opinion is that the nomcom did a
great job, especially under such conditions, to come up with a call
for nominees perfectly synthetizing the requirements, following the
long and - as usual - heated discussion we had on this list prior to
nomcom work.

True the nomcom might have made clear that (self-)nominations should
also be sent to the IGC. But, after all, no one from this list
reacted on the call for nominees, saying that nominations should be
sent to the list. In such conditions, I understand that, most
probably, the nomcom felt reluctant on forwarding nominations (with
names and private details), when nomineeds were not informed on such
possibility in advance.

Since we don't have yet the nomcom report, I also hardly understand
critics on why people from one region or the other have not been
selected, or in less number than others, when we don't know the
details on the received nominations (only general statistics have
been published).

As regards nominees, we certainly can't expect from people external
to IGC to send their (self-)nominations to this list, when they
haven't been asked so. However, we could have expected to be informed
on (self-)nominations from people active in the IGC, most notably
from incumbents, most notably from those incumbents who announced
their willingness to be selected again. Apparently, they don't have
anything to report to us on their activity in the MAG till now. I
regret this.

Furthermore, the nomcom has selected 15 nominees. It has been said
that this would give more choice to the selection by UN/Secretariat.
I'm wondering:

(1) if it's wise to give choice to UN/Secretariat - why then
undertaking this selection process?
(2) how many candidates from IGC nominated group we expect to be
selected?
(3) how many CS people we expect to be selected, all in all.

You might have understood at this point that our criticisms should
target now is not the nomcom, but:
- our own choice of selecting our candidates through a nomcom process
rather than a voting process
- our own choice - be it by default - to let the UN/Secretariat pick
up who it wants to pick up, rather than having a clear idea in
advance on how many candidates we should select, then  select them,
and send this list to UN/Secretariat with clear demand that they
should be on the MAG.

We should be now busy with workshop proposals, statement for May
consultations, and other related issues. But right after this, we
should start considering at least changing our charter w.r.t. to
selection process, and vote on this changes according to our current
charter provisions.

Best,
Meryem
     governance at lists.cpsr.org