[governance] IGF-Is Peering a Net Neutrality Issue?

John Levine icggov at johnlevine.com
Sun Apr 20 21:02:39 EDT 2008

>Tim, John,
>
>isn't this the operational stuff that YorkU's tech staff deal with day in
>day out? They sure earn their low salaries many times over and are kept
>awake till 2 AM for it. They sure would want to be able to do better, to
>have a more competitive providers' landscape around, better SLA's on
>offer, and so on, But I doubt that they are starting a demonstration in
>front of the seat of the executive or legislative powers, much less the
>Foreign Office, to ask them for a global edict to aid them.

Quite right.  I agree that the people who keep university networks
going are usually competent and underappreciated.  My point, perhaps
ill-expressed, was that if people in other parts of the university
think that the service level should be better, they really need to say
where they expect the extra money for the improvements to come from.
Every university I know of has fully committed budgets, so more
spending in one area means either raising external money or making
cuts elsewhere.  Maybe both.

>applications, international relations, etc., it still remains seen in bad
>taste to ask for the reciprocal. C.P. Snow, where are you in this our
>direst hour?

Yeah.  We've done a really bad job teaching people about the way the
Internet actually works, and people have mental models that are
greatly at variance with actuality.  In this case, there seems to be
confusion about what peering means.

On the other hand, I would hope that people who claim to be interested
in Internet governance would make some effort to educate themselves
about the way the Internet works before flying off the handle.

R's,
John
     governance at lists.cpsr.org