[governance] Re: peering policies

nancyp at yorku.ca nancyp at yorku.ca
Thu Apr 17 12:44:06 EDT 2008

M,
OPI (Open Peering Initiative) is in the RIPE region. What abt ARIN?
When you suggested I emailed ARIN, I did. Reply from ARIN below:

Date:   Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:11:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:  	hostmaster at arin.net
To:  	nancyp at yorku.ca
Subject:  Re: [ARIN-20080416.1483] ASN request info
Hello,
> May I inquire: is documenting routing policy mandatory* for ARIN-ASN Requests?
> Or is it recommended practice?

We need only enough information to verify the requester has justification
for a globally unique AS number.

AS numbers are commonly assigned based on an intent to multi-home with two
or more upstream providers.  In that scenario, all we need to know about
the routing policy is the upstream ISPs the requester will be peering
with.

If the requester is basing justification on a unique routing policy, we'll
need enough information to verify the AS will have a routing policy that
differs from its border peers.
Regards,
hostmaster at arin.net