[governance] Where are we with IGC workshops?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 12:41:28 EDT 2008

Hello Nancy,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM,  <nancyp at yorku.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'd like to add a bit to the flow at this point; I agree as well, with Parminder
>  and Lee that IGF is the perfect place for discussions of universal access as a
>
> policy/Internet governance first principle.
>  My (YorkU, Toronto) thesis rsrch is indebted to Lee McKnight and others on the
>  topic of internet infrastructure revenue mgmt. As you know open communications
>  policy is not simple - to address this my work gathers up the relevant sources
>  to date, in order to further the idea that internet interconnection is the
>  locus of control of the internet. Requiring all (regardless of size or
>  location) peering policies (not transit) to be open and public information
>  would greatly assist with the goal of establishing universal access as a
>  principle.

First of all, documenting one's peering policy IS "required" (both
transit and non-transit peers) by several RIRs in order to get an ASN,
others simply recommend it as BCP.  Not that it is up to date in all
cases mind you, but still, it is there.

So for example, say you are Sony in Japan. You apply for an ASN and
you get one, but in the AP region documenting routing policy is
mandatory, so SONY had to fill in their request form with the import
and export fields filled in like this:

aut-num:      AS9600
as-name:      SONYTELECOM
descr:        SONY CORPORATION
import:       from AS2527 100 accept ANY
import:       from AS2914 100 accept ANY
import:       from AS3549 100 accept ANY
import:       from AS9619 100 accept AS9619
export:       to AS2527 announce AS9600
export:       to AS2914 announce AS9600
export:       to AS3549 announce AS9600
export:       to AS9619 announce ANY
country:      JP
admin-c:      NM044JP
tech-c:       KT9170JP
tech-c:       YY4444JP
changed:      apnic-ftp at nic.ad.jp 20000125
changed:      apnic-ftp at nic.ad.jp 20030221
source:       JPNIC

You can see a pretty picture of their routing policy here:

http://www.robtex.com/as/as9600.html

and tons of information on AS9600 routing here:

http://www.ris.ripe.net/dashboard/as9600 (altho service is currently degraded)

and a very cool animation of their routing can be done here:

http://www.ris.ripe.net/bgplay/

but you need a prefix for that, not an ASN, which you can find on the
dashboard link above.

Since this information has been mandatory for much of the world for
many years, can you tell me how requiring it (now) "would greatly
assist with the goal of establishing universal access as a
principle."??

I'm just not understanding that.  Nor do I understand the mechanism by
which you would like it to be "required".  UN/EU directives? national
laws?

--
Cheers,

McTim