[governance] rights based approach to the Internet

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 11:47:03 EDT 2008

No, what we're dealing with in your case is a kind of incantatory
anti-market fundamentalism, something that folks in civil society should
have moved beyond in 1991 1930, if not sooner. But old habits die hard,
which is why I make an issue of it on this list.

I'm perfectly willing to entertain policy market interventions in the market
in support of public policy goods when beneficial. But let's I'll give
competitive markets and liberal policies their due; they've produced
dramatic expansions in access and will continue to do so if handled right.
Be intelligent about when you need to intervene, and how, and when you
don't. That's all.

And to anticipate the inevitable incantation that markets don't do
everything or aren't perfect, well, yeah. Who said they were?

(well I guess we are closer to consensus than I figured after all ;-)

MG

> >  The problem Milton (and McTim) is that I don't think anyone
believes in
> > that kind of incantatory market fundamentalism

No, what we're dealing with in your case is a kind of incantatory
anti-market fundamentalism, something that folks in civil society should
have moved beyond in 1991, if not sooner. But old habits die hard, which is
why I make an issue of it on this list.

I'm perfectly willing to entertain policy interventions in the market when
beneficial. But let's give competitive markets and liberal policies their