[governance] Network Neutrality - A key IG issue ... ?

nancyp at yorku.ca nancyp at yorku.ca
Tue Apr 15 12:17:52 EDT 2008

Hi,
Indeed at OttawaU there are a number of people including Michael Geist who are
exploring Net Neutrality. At this point it seems a duality of issues have
become somewhat narrowly focused upon.  First, the discussions regarding the
international oversight of the Domain Naming System.  Secondly, the Net
neutrality debate revolving around last mile connectivity and end user issues
in the domestic arena. It is interesting that the two concepts fall so far at
the ends of the broad scale of connectivity.  This dichotomy does have a middle
ground.  It is the network of wires, cables, fibre, servers, colocational
spaces, carrier hotels, interconnect facilities, and transborder gateways.  In
short, the peering points and the bandwidth which is connected, comprising the
internet infrastructure. Policy based routing is instrumental in traffic
shaping and net neutrality discussions.
Nancy Paterson

     governance at lists.cpsr.org