[governance] rights based approach to the Internet

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 17:27:58 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br> wrote:
> Sorry, way out of line, Suresh & McTim (wow, sounds like a good name for a
> country music duo!).
>
>  The debates in this list are free, and there is no clause which says
> coordnators should not participate in the debate.

I have not espoused the notion that they should not, rather that their
opinions are only one of many.

 Are we voting on
> something, or so far just debating? Has any of the current coordinators
> proposed that certain positions should be banned from the list?

Where did this question come from? no one has espoused this position IIRC.

To the
> contrary. Parminder never runs from a debate (great quality, in my opinion),
> and this seems to strongly annoy a few (very few) people in this list.

It is not the debate that is the problem, rather the "political"
position of the coordinator.  A coordinator of this list should IMHO,
be the "honest broker in the room", and not a person whose POV must,
it seems, win out, despite reality suggesting otherwise.

A coordinator must have opinions, naturally, but these must not get in
the way of the work of the group.  Judging by the number of times that
our current coordinator has been scolded by our former coordinators, I
think that it's not just 2 who share this view.

>  I tend to think that, if this kind of "technical community" cannot tolerate
> political debate (mind you, this is a *civil society* caucus!), it would be
> better off in other lists -- perhaps spending your time in writing an RFC on
> something like, say, haikus? The list rules do not say this explicitly, but
> thou shalt not be prevented from leaving once in...
>
>  Amazing, a quibble is forced by some to escalate, and soon you start to
> imagine that a multitude of people in this caucus are about to join in this
> "movement". So much for egos...

This is your imagination at work amigo, not mine.  I merely voiced my
opinion.  Is that banned now as well?  If so, I shall take you up on
your kind invitation.

--
Cheers,

McTim