[governance] rights based approach to the Internet

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 11:16:34 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

>  > > Don't know what you are referring to. Though generally I know McTim
>  > keeps
>  > > telling me that I should not be speaking that much about IG policies etc
>  > > because of my inadequate technical knowledge and non-peer-ship with
>  > > technical minds and what he calls as technical community. Are you
>  > agreeing
>  > > with him?
>  >
>  > This is not even a bad caricature of what I have been expounding, it's
>  > a plain falsehood.
>  >
>  > I DO tell you to trim your mails, but you never do.
>  >
>  > As Bill said, not interested in spending time on conversations not
>  > conducted in good faith.
>  >

>  McTim
>
>  It must take extra-ordinary smugness (the likely reasons for which I will
>  not expound at this moment)

Let me guess... because you think I'm a neo-liberal?? ;-)

to object to my assertion that you probably do
>  think that I should speak less about IG polices because of my lack of tech
>  knowledge, and as such, being a conversation in bad faith exactly 20 minutes
>  after you sent an email to me telling me that I just do not how know
>  Internet works and advising me to take a diplo course.

I never have told you to speak LESS about IG policies, I only want you
to understand that there are community based policy development
processes on other lists, and that those lists are where you can have
an impact on actual policies.  I have repeatedly stated that
historical IG is NOT about technical issues, but is rather
administrative in nature.

>  >I think that you don't really understand how the network grows, perhaps the
>  >Diplo course will help you.

Because you said:

"Thus 'right to the Internet' should include certain rights to what is
'on' the Internet, and also to own and co-construct the Internet (cf
co-constructivism in education). All this implies a very different
basis of IG regime than what we see today."

Which shows that you don't understand how the net works.  You "own"
your network, you have the right to decide what to put on line, which
protocols to use, and which other networks you connect to.   This is
exactly the IG "regime" we have today, and one that has made it such a
success!

>  And this is not the first time that you and your close follower has openly
>  pointed to my specific and general ignorance, while you completely fail to
>  notice that despite both of you at multiple times showing such glaring gaps
>  in your understanding and knowledge about many basic social and political
>  issues I, out of good manners, have never pointed to your ignorance and
>  suggested any basic course or such.

I thank you for your exceptional manners.  I guess those years working
in politics and political education in Washington never paid off for
me.

>  So, instead of me taking offence to what you say about my ignorance and need
>  to take some basic course, you take offence to my mere statement that you
>  often say such things to me.

Because I don't "say" the things you "hear".  What I write is much
more subtle than what you wrote that I write.

It is also significant that I only made this
>  observation in response to Bill extending his logic about how one (meaning,
>  I) should not speak about people and processes one is not directly involved
>  with to include something you seemed to have said.

Just because you made this observation in response to Bill still
doesn't make it a correct observation!

>  (BILL) >...views and activities of people you've not talked to, processes
>  >you weren't involved with, etc. McTim has made the same point re: technical
>  >and administrative orgs.
>
>  And in fact your email about 'dilpo' course came after the email in which I
>  said that you think I shd mind my IG opinions because of lack of knowledge,
>  thereby giving evidence to what I said a few minutes before.

As Bill said, you are entitled to your opinions.

Please don't mistake those opinions for the IGC agenda re: IG issues.

Just because you think it, it doesn't mean it's true.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim