Workshop on IG and Jurisdictions - Re: {Spam?} RE: [governance] Where are we with IGC workshops?

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Sun Apr 13 06:39:53 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I changed the subject and I'm still waiting for Bret convening a
small working group to discuss more in details the workshop.
In the mean time, regarding Ian's call for suggestions for speakers,
here are some proposals to start with:

- IGO: The Hague Conference on private international law - on
jurisdiction for civil and commercial matters:consumer issues,
copyright, etc. (Convention on the choice of court agreements) - I
can ask CPTech to help finding the right person [Will probably have
no other reason to be in Hyderabad]

- IGO: The Council of Europe - on jurisdiction for criminal issues
and content issues (Convention on cybercrime, Convention on
transfrontier television) - The under Secretary General should be the
one. [Will be in Hyderabad]

- IGO: WIPO (but I'm afraid the workshop would turn into IPR issues,
plus many workshop would address this) [Will certainly be in Hyderabad]

- IGO (sort of): Regional associations of Data Protection authorities
(EU, APEC, Francophone association - includes African countries).
[Presence in Hyderabad?]

- UFO:): ICANN (but, as in WIPO case, I'm afraid the workshop would
turn into DNS issues) [Will be in Hyderabad]

- CS: KEI (CPTech)/TACD: Jamie Love or Manon Ress (consumers and
copyright issues; most notably on the Hague Convention on the choice
of court agreements) [Good chances they will be in Hyderabad]

- CS: EDRI: Meryem  Marzouki (human rights, freedoms and rule of law
issues; most notably on Convention on cybercrime; Convention on
transfrontier television; French-USA Yahoo case; EU Rome II Treaty on
law applicable to non-contractual obligations; UN HR Commission in
follow-up of Durban Summit, etc.   [Will be in Hyderabad]

- CS/Academics: many people have written on this. Mostly law
professors. [Presence in Hyderabad?]

- BIZ: IFPI (phonographic industry); WAN or similar (newspaper
associations); Yahoo/AOL/Google-YouTube/etc. (multinational ISPs and
social networking applications); Registries/registrars [Will be in
Hyderabad]

- GOV: not sure they're needed (IGOs more important here). But just
in case, we should prefer countries having experienced problematic
jurisdiction cases: France, The Netherlands, USA, .. [Will be in
Hyderabad]

On co-sponsorship, I'm pretty sure KEI (CPTech), EDRI, the Council of
Europe would accept to co-sponsor, and probably ICC or individual
businesses would be also interested. France and USA may be asked to
co-sponsor, too.

If there's agreement on these suggestions for participation/co-
sponsorship, I would take care of inviting Council of Europe (speaker
and co-sponsorship), as EDRI is in relation with them. I would also
contact KEI/CPTech, and can manage WAN or other newspaper association
through other contacts. Of course, I could ask French government if
needed.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org