{Spam?} RE: [governance] Where are we with IGC workshops?

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Sun Apr 13 04:29:02 EDT 2008

Hi,

I would suggest that before anyone marches off and starts doing anything we
reach closure on how many and which ws IGC will propose, hopefully focusing
on recently discussed options in which people have shown interest, a bounded
set, rather adding into the pot every idea ever floated and floundering
around for a week trying to narrow things down again.  Either way, it would
be preferable to have some clear consensus on the choices first.  I suggest
"just" three, in the hope that we could actually pull this off: mandate,
jurisdiction, and "internationalization," which needs better framing.

If there's agreement to do one on jurisdiction/extraterritoriality, per Ian
and contra the Bard, we'd need some lawyers.  There are a number of legal
scholars who've done good stuff in this arena, like Joel Reidenberg, Dan
Burk, Joel Trachtman, Jack Goldsmith, Mark Lemley, etc.  Alas, all I just
named are from the US and none have been involved in IGF, but there must be
folks elsewhere with similar skill sets who we might be able to persuade to
come.  Frankly, this issue area does require at least some specialized
expertise to tackle properly, and if we can't get enough of the right people
it might not be viable to do this time.

Another option would be to focus on some of the efforts to actually work out
international governance arrangements on jurisdictional issues, choice of
law, etc---UNCITRAL, the Hague Conference, etc.  Then there'd be more people
to choose from, e.g. Jamie Love, who I presume will be in Hyderabad.   I
also would imagine that ICC could help us find an industry person who works
on this nexus...

Bill

On 4/12/08 10:16 PM, "Ian Peter" <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> Before we do huddle on this, if anyone on the larger group has suggestions
> for speakers we could invite pls send them either to me or to the list.
>
> I did approach Justice Kirby of the Australian High Court who has spoken
> prominently on these issues, unfortunately he can't come. A good legal mind
> or two would be good for this one on transboundary data flow, transboundary
> jurisdictional issues etc.
>
> Ian Peter
> Ian Peter and Associates Pty Ltd
> PO Box 10670 Adelaide St  Brisbane 4000
> Australia
> Tel (+614) 1966 7772 or (+612) 6687 0773
> www.ianpeter.com
> www.internetmark2.org
> www.nethistory.info

William J. Drake