[governance] Where are we with IGC workshops?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat Apr 12 01:17:46 EDT 2008

>Le 11 avr. 08 à 16:58, Michael Leibrandt a écrit :

<SNIP>

>  >
>>  1- "Role and Mandate of IGF"
>>
>>  We`re moving towards the third IGF, so please no more discussions
>>  about the present IGF settings and/or TA interpretations. How about
>>  >Future Development of the IGF<?
>
>Tabula rasa? Hell no! The aim of this (hopefully now recurrent)
>workshop is accountability for the past and, I agree, discussing the
>future. This has to be reflected in the WS title.
>
>***Is it really worth the time - and attractive
>to potential listeners - to use the ws for ex
>post analysis? People want to know why it makes
>sense to contribute to the IGF process towards
>India and beyond. At least many government guys
>do. Anyway, past and future could be combined in
>the title as you suggested.

Michael,

In many ways you a re right... but, one of the
thoughts behind the workshop is that the IGF has
a five year mandate and at some point a process
will begin to consider whether it's desirable to
continue the forum. A very clear requirement of
the Tunis Agenda (76.) (this is not a TA
interpretation, I think it's clear para 76 *will*
happen.)

Hyderabad is the half-way point (year three of
five) and would be a good opportunity to take
stock of where we are.  Midterm project reviews
are a pretty useful thing. A workshop that
essentially asks what have we achieved, what more
needs to be done to meet our expectations of the
forum could be a helpful step towards this later
review of the mandate.

Might be interesting to tie in with a survey/questionnaire.

Retrospectives don't have to be dull... in art
they are often the first celebration and
realization of genius.

Adam
     governance at lists.cpsr.org