[governance] NTIA announcement on JPA

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Apr 4 23:46:44 EDT 2008

Factually wrong. International telephone country codes need to be
globally coordinated, just as the DNS root zone does. The difference is
that global number coordination via ITU emerged bottom up via peer
negotiations rather than top-down and therefore was in no position to
regulate via contract what the assignees of their international codes
do.

> (Compare the
> process of setting up a web hosting company with the process of
> setting up a telephone company.)

We're getting there, John. Give us time. :-(

And setting up telephone companies that rely on others' infrastructures
is probably a lot easier than you imagine.

> Look, I am no fan of ICANN, as should be clear to anyone who followed
> my stint on the ICANN ALAC.  But if you want to replace them, the
> issue isn't that they're not "legitimate", it's that they're
> incompetent.  Registrars collapse, and ICANN first denies for a year

Incompetent at what? is my response. As usual a techie perspective on
this completely misses the political dynamics that drive what gets done
and what doesn't. ICANN seems remarkably competent at surviving and
enlarging its budget, which has meant achieving legitimacy and support
among governments, ccTLDs, brand owners, and marginally, buying itself a
toothless ALAC. If you think legitimacy is irrelevant it's no wonder you
can't make sense of its lack of attention to mundane regulatory issues
that force it to make hard choices that will only alienate some key
stakeholders.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org