[governance] Data mining the root, was NTIA announcement on JPA

John Levine icggov at johnlevine.com
Thu Apr 3 23:03:03 EDT 2008

>There is a considerable amount of money that can be made by doing data
>mining of the query stream that hits root and TLD servers.

I agree with you about TLD server traffic, but I'm dubious about the
root.

As I understand it, the majority of traffic to the root is junk,
largely due to a Microsoft misfeature that makes some Windows boxes
try to update the root whenever their DNS setup is configured.  Beyond
that is a lot of traffic looking for typo domains.  Traffic to .COM
would be plenty interesting, but since the TTL on NS records in the
root is two days, you're only going to see a tiny trickle of the
traffic for real TLDs.  I suppose you could cut down the TTL to see
more of the traffic, but that's going to have performance issues for
the clients.

In any event what you want to see is the stream of DNS lookups, not
just the small fraction that percolates up to the root.  If you want
to buy that, there's far better ways to do so than by trying to sell
an alternate root.

R's,
John
     governance at lists.cpsr.org