[governance] NTIA announcement on JPA

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Apr 3 20:52:17 EDT 2008

William Drake wrote:

> Given the politics and legalities, what's a plausible scenario?

The first question that one should ask before starting down a road
toward governance is this: Is there a problem that needs to be solved?

I would submit that for much of what is happening on the internet there
is no problem that needs solving.

In other words the null hypothesis - doing nothing - should always be
among the options considered when we look at governing the internet.

Let's look at the case that people always use as their poster child for
regulation: the domain name system.

It is assumed or asserted that there must be something called a global
authoritative DNS name space.[*]

Why?

I suggest that rather than a top down system, which is what ICANN is,
that acts as an overlord of names, we would obtain a quite workable
worldwide DNS if we simply let DNS systems arise, fight with one another
for users/customers, and allow feeble ones to die.

What would be the fastest road for a DNS provider to become feeble and
die - it would be to offer resolution services that surprise users with
inconsistencies and gaps.

In other words, the desire to remain in business would coerce DNS
providers to become consistent with one another without any need of a
worldwide overlording regulatory body.

Moreover, the absence of an ICANN-like overlord would allow new TLD
offerings to come into being, fight for visibility, and naturally grow
or die in pretty much the same way that new TV channels fight for space
on cable and satellite systems in the US or the same way that new brands
of toothpaste seek shelf space in stores and markets.  It's a well known
process that goes under names like "building a brand" and "carving out
market share".

And how would disputes over names be resolved - the way they always have
been in the trade space - in court using rules of law (including those
regarding the importation of external judgments by a local/domestic court.)

I suggest that one option for many of areas of internet governance is to
not govern at all.

For those things that do remain to be governed, the next question to ask
is whether those matters can be stripped of discretion and reduced to
clerical jobs.  Most of the IANA job would fall into that category.

These clerical kinds tend to be non-contentious.  Does anybody get upset
about the ITU doing the job of assigning the magic numbers that glue the
mobile telephone systems together?   These sorts of things can often
simply be contracted-out for their performance or handed to a handy
already-existing body.

There are a very few remaining things that need real oversight with the
exercise of discretion and the balancing of competing interests.  Those
are the hard things.  But those hard things are made much easier to
handle if they have been pre-stripped of all of the bells and whistles
that do not require governance or that are clerical.

[*] By-the-way, many of the properties claimed of DNS with regard to it
being a system of global unique identifiers do not hold up under
scrutiny.  The main way that DNS names fail is that they do not have
strong temporal invariance - DNS names often change meaning over time.
See my note on this at
http://www.cavebear.com/archive/rw/nrc_presentation_july_11_2001.ppt

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org