[governance] NTIA announcement on JPA

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Apr 3 19:32:32 EDT 2008

Obvious, dear compa Ian, and nearly impossible with the current ICANN
admin -- the exec staff and a majority of the current ICANN board's
major motivation to consider internationalization is to escape from
litigation in the USA, as the "president's commission" led by the
current chairman implicitly wanted (see their report recommending a sort
of internationalization of ICANN) -- the report, incidentally, was
diplomatically ignored by the board in practice.

The ICANN admin's motivation is "what is best for the gTLD business?"
and "how can I best fulfill my contracts with the USG?" (very
objective), not much more. My feeling is whatever ICANN currently does
to supposedly end the formalities with the USG is cosmetic. But what
external pressure (or even internal, through ALAC, NCUC, or even, the
gods forbid, the GAC etc) could have any significant effect?

In light of this, what are the alternatives, what is really worth
fighting for in the global logical infrastructure governance scheme of
things, if we genuinely (not the case of most of the ICANN "dirigentes"
today) want global multistakeholder governance of the whole thing?

frt rgds

--c.a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org