[governance] NTIA announcement on JPA

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Apr 3 03:35:05 EDT 2008

Avri,

On 4/3/08 8:55 AM, "Avri Doria" <avri at psg.com> wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2008, at 08:02, William Drake wrote:
>>
>> In the long run we're all dead,
>
> that is the most optimistic thing i have heard in a while.

It's a quote from Keynes, who was a reasonably optimistic chap.  You were
hoping for something even better?

>> so that's not much comfort.  Prior to that,
>> I've got fifty bucks that says the next administration won't change
>> anything, at least not in its first term.  Who'd want to throw read
>> meat to
>> right wing blogosphere etc before the 2012 election?
>
> so, do you think that ICANN can survive the international pressures
> that long?

Not saying it'll be particularly comfortable or without Sturm und Drang, but
what exactly would be the scenario in which it's unable to weather the
storms and muddle through like all the other organizations that labor under
conditions they don't like?

Might help shift the debate a little if for the next review NTIA were to
hear a LOT more from proponents of change, including a fleshed out and
plausible scenario as to how independence would work geopolitically, why
there'd be no real risk of "takeover by foreign governments," how we could
have rock solid guarantees of exactly the same levels of security,
stability, and control in the last instance as now.   Something that would
make ITAA, DOD, et al say, hmmm...I don't think this has been done yet
either by ICANN or others, so expecting a leap of faith in the beltway seems
ill-advised.  Those are reserved for other issues...

BD

     governance at lists.cpsr.org