[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Sep 26 13:58:44 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: McTim [mailto:dogwallah at gmail.com]

>and it is.  I can filter out all emails from
><mueller at syr.edu>, I can write a rule into my
>firewall to block all my users from seeing
>http://internetgovernance.org (but what would be the fun in that?)

McTim: we are in agreement here, but you present it as an argument,
which seems to indicate that you do not really understand what this
controversy is about. That suspicion is proved by your next point:

>The basic conceptual mistake you have made is to forget
>that the DNS is a hierarchical, distributed system (RFCs
>799, 1034, 1035, 920, 1032, etc, etc).
>
>Now, if you want to put 2 million names in the root zone
>(instead of say for example .com), well you CAN do that,
>but IMHO you SHOULD NOT.

McTim, this discussion is not about how many TLDs. Not even remotely
about that. It is about "which" TLDs and "how" they are selected, and
whether a central authority censors their content based on semantic
considerations.

Care to participate in that debate?
     governance at lists.cpsr.org