[governance] RE: Human rights and new gTLDs

Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law froomkin at law.miami.edu
Wed Sep 26 10:19:54 EDT 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, David Goldstein wrote:

> I'm beginning to see some reasons for allowing many more gTLDs. A
> question that has occurred to me though - what about ccTLDs? They have
> invested a lot of time and money building up something that is often
> quite a strong "brand" and gaining consumer confidence.

The idea that any first-movers should be able to engage in
anti-competitive behavior of stopping competitors merely because they were
first is now long discredited in the legal and economic literature.

To the extent that ccTLDs (and others) have built a 'brand' and 'trust'
they will reap those benefits by retaining their customers and getting new
ones -- even if they charge a premium.  Let a 1000 flowers bloom.

If you mean - should we give every government a second ccTLD-like name to
play with and/or sell -- why not, as part of a general expansion in the
namespace?

> And then there's cybersquatting - to me the scourge of the domain name
> business. And then there's security for companies. If I'm selling
> widgets at widget.com, yet someone tries to copy me at widgets.sdgf, and
> there are hundreds of TLDs, how am I as a businessman to easily keep
> track of this? It's hard enough now.

If you have a common name like 'widgets' or 'delta' or indeed any name
other than a coined (made up) name like 'exxon' then you are already in a
world where there is vast concurrent trademark use along both geographic
and sectoral lines.  We allow the same name to be used for the same
business in different countries; we allow the same name to used for
different types of business in the same country.  It has always been thus.
Creating new TLDs lets those firms that were a little later to the party
-- smaller firms, third world firms -- have a form of nearer-parity with
the first-movers.  Many of the registrants will be legit, not squatters.
(As for the coined names, there are also legal non-commercial uses, e.g. I
could create exxon.tld to critique its lobbying strategy or its role in
global warming.)

Recall that squatters are people who buy names hoping to ransom them to
the holder of a cognate TM; ownership of a mark does not (contary to all
the PR by mark-holders) actually give you any legal right to domain name,
rather all it gives you is the right to prevent competing uses that might
confuse or tend to mislead customers.

If there are enough TLDs created, the squatter's power to deny names to
people who would make legal and higher-value uses of them (often TM
holders) will be greatly reduced since the cost of hoarding goes up
linearly with the number of new TLDs but the scarcity factor drops quickly
past some unknown point.  Many new TLDs kills cyberquatting just by the
work of normal economics.  It is  the drip-drip strategy that keeps
squatters in business: just enough new TLDs to hoard, not too many to make
the bottom fall out of the market.

And finally, the UDRP isn't going away and it has proved remarkably
friendly to plaintiff TM/SM holders.  See generally ICANN's UDRP: Its
Causes and (Partial) Cures, 67 BROOK. L. REV. 605 (2002), available at
http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin/articles/udrp.pdf

> I'm interested in responses.

You asked...

--