[governance] Human rights and new gTLDs

yehudakatz at mailinator.com yehudakatz at mailinator.com
Wed Sep 26 07:33:40 EDT 2007

And yet another perspective on the gTLD Governance issue:

Although ‘in-Principle’ I would agree that the Freedom to designate a gTLD is
important, I would disagree ‘in-Practice’ for the following reasons.

The “Commoditization” of gTLD space would undoubtedly take place, same as it
has in the Domain Launch and Domain-Aftermarket(s).   This would lead to
resource-capitalization (price escalation) and restrict resource-allocation to
whom can afford the price.

Secondly, there is the possibility of a strategic-resource-allocation (a
portfolio of gTLDs) being used to malalign sociopolitical & cultural realties.
[Citizen Kane syndrome / inner syndication]

Publishers and maybe more importantly the Corporate-Boards that sit behind
them, would most certainly be able to afford most strategic & desirable gTLD
spaces,
[see post: http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2007-09/msg00058.html ]
and with such wield their will as they see fit, thus corporatizing control of
the Fourth Estate.

Already with .Travel (as Edward Hasbrouck has depicted) and .3X we have seen a
consortium of ‘Cartel-Publishers’ vying for gTLD space. Don’t be fooled, these
are not Individuals such as Christopher Ambler of .Web, they are Market funded
Citizen Kane Inc.s  … 'Independent Media' will be submarined with Static*, and
so to would the independence and democracy we all cherish.

Pushes localized for gTLDs such as .3x under guises of Freedom-of-Speech and
Freedom-of-the-Press, are in fact designed for the benefit of Publishers
et.al..

Ret.: Who stands to Profit ?: The People or the Publishers
Governance?: Rule-the-Root or Defend the Democratic Space

Ref:
Private Equity Acquisitions in Media and Telecom: CITI meeting September 28,
2007
http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2007-09/msg00058.html

The Age of Spin: Controlling the Message [2007 Los Angeles Times Festival of
Books]
http://www.booktv.org/ram/feature/0507/btv051307_4b.ram [Real Player]

* STATIC: GOVERNMENT LIARS, MEDIA CHEERLEADERS, AND THE PEOPLE WHO FIGHT BACK
by Amy Goodman (Author), David Goodman (Author)  ISBN: 1401302939
     governance at lists.cpsr.org