SV: [governance] space on Nov.11th

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Tue Sep 25 07:59:59 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 9/25/07 9:27 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
<wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> We should do this just after GIGANET, that is 5.00 p.m. Or did we schedule a
> GIGANET Business meeting? Than we could start 6.00 p.m.

There is a GigaNet business meeting scheduled at 3:45pm which will probably
run to 5:30.

Milton: I can't remember whether or not you sent the 'short program' to the
governance list; if not, now that the line-up is fixed, it'd be helpful.

In organizing the program, we assumed that the previous understanding was
still in place.  Carlos had originally suggested that the RITS/Latin
American CS event would be,

On 4/18/07 11:35 PM, "Carlos Afonso" <ca at rits.org.br> wrote:

> Date and time: November 11, from 14:00 to 20:00 (GIGAnet starts early
> morning and will join us around 15:00).

I don't seem to have saved the follow-up messages, but my recollection was
that Milton had asked whether it couldn't start more like 15:00 to avoid
conflicting with more than one GigaNet panel and I thought that was
ultimately agreed.

Anyway Carlos, it's obviously up to your folks when they want to hold their
meeting, but it's a pity that LA CS people will be unable to attend the
morning GigaNet session on a Development Agenda for IG, which will feed into
the discussions of the Development Agenda workshop of which you/ CGI.br are
co-sponsors, and which inter alia will feature two papers by Latin American
scholars, one of whom is also the Argentine rep to the GAC.  Given the roles
of Brazil and Argentina in the WIPO DA process and in raising development
concerns with respect to IG, one would have hoped there'd be interest in
this (and GigaNet more generally).  But if you must do it the morning, oh
well, macacos me mordam;-)

As for the caucus meeting, if it is held during GigaNet, it will be without
a dozen or more of the caucus' most active members over the years.  I don't
see the advantage of that, so I would again suggest doing it afterwards.  A
little break in between an all day conference and the caucus meeting would
be sensible so people can clear their heads, get a coffee, finish
conversations, etc. so I would suggest 6-8pm, followed by a caucus/GigaNet
samba school session.  Two hours ought to be enough for an opening meeting,
no?

Best,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org