[governance] final final list of nominees on behalf of IGC for IGF

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Sep 20 11:14:30 EDT 2007

At 4:34 PM +0200 9/20/07, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>jlfullsack ha scritto:
>>Wolfgang quoted
>>"Good balance."
>>
>>OK Wolfgang, if you mean the geographical one.
>>We still ignore where all are coming from (organisation, mandates,
>>...) and what -on our behalf- they intend to tell  the audience in
>>Rio.
>
>I'd be on sort of a middle ground here. As I understand it,
>panelists will not be "telling" something to the audience - they
>will reply to questions from the moderator and the floor; thus they
>are being selected for their expertise on the topics of the session,
>rather than as representatives of a broader group, and expected to
>provide answers that are not prepared in advance.

This is expected to be the format. But not entirely clear.  Idea is
for discussion, no presentations or statements (except the opening
ceremony.)  Of course anyone can send any selected speaker talking
points on issues.

>This said, I think that all panelists (and we still don't know how
>many of our nominations will be accepted) will welcome suggestions
>about points that it would be useful to make, coming from fellow
>civil society participants.

Also, whoever moderates the session will need briefing, anyone can
send comments on the theme and related issues to help the moderator.
We should come up with a process for this civil society input.

>A possible exception to this scenario would be the opening ceremony,
>which has a much more "representative" and formal function - thus we
>might want to ask whoever is selected for the opening ceremony to
>share ideas and gather suggestions in advance.

I mentioned a few days ago:

At 2:16 AM +0900 9/15/07, Adam Peake wrote:
>  Last year Natasha Primo used her time split between her own issues
>(Gender and ICT) and also addressed key civil society bullet points.
>I think this was successful.

I think the person should be able to talk about issues important to
them as well as cover what we feel key issues for CS broadly.
<http://www.intgovforum.org/IGF-OpeningSession-301006.txt> for a
transcript of the Athens opening ceremony (I didn't do Natasha
justice say the issues she covered were "Gender and ICT", she did
much more.)

Is this a good model to follow?

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org