[governance] Speakers for IGF - new faces?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Sep 20 10:58:00 EDT 2007

>Adam and all,
>At ISOC-Bulgaria, we are trying to send some new people to the IGF.
>While we can't define names today, there are chances, that you may
>be able to see some Bulgarians in Rio.
>
>We have been able to contribute with a workshop on CIR, organized
>together with the World bank, GIPI, CDT and others -
>http://info.intgovforum.org/yoppy.php?poj=37.
>We are also working on bringing some of our members to the Best
>Practices Forum (http://intgovforum.org/BPP.php); as some of you may
>know, the current President, the current Prime Minister, and the
>Minister of ICT (chairman of the State Agency for ICT) are all
>members of ISOC.
>

>Best,
>Veni
>
>P.S. I think one of the main problems that we are facing, is that at
>every event for years now we see the same people.

Veni, this is very true.

But that you have just said "we are trying to send some new people to
the IGF. While we can't define names today..." is a nice example of
the problem. Can't select someone as a speaker unless you know they
are going. The meeting starts pretty soon (less than 8 weeks?)

It is not at all pleasing to write "We have no money to bring anyone,
the meeting starts in 8 weeks.  Suggest only recommending people who
are going to be there (or have a very good chance of being there.)"
This situation should not have been allowed to happen.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org