[governance] ACCESS TO ICT/ INTERNET

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Sep 19 08:16:11 EDT 2007

Michael Gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> Norbert and all, can I suggest that we be rather more careful with our
> terminology...
>
> The term "Digital Divide" has become something of a "portmanteau" and
> tends to mean whatever the user wishes it to mean -- all the way from
> simple available access (the 5? kilometers from a pay telephone as the
> standard means for defining telephone access being transferred to
> something similar for the Internet) to various forms of "divides" being
> conflated within the Digital Divide notion (literacy divides, financial
> divides, disability divides etc.etc.) to actually being concerned with
> how the access is used.

What I like about the term "digital divide" is precisely that it
expresses this discontent with a situation in which those who are
already disadvantaged unfairly become even more disadvantaged,
_without_ implying a particular model for describing and trying to
address the specifics of the problem.

I think that it's important to separate this emotional side of the
issue from the needed scientifically fact-oriented processes for
addressing it.

I often put "digital divide" in quotation marks (as e.g. in the
posting that you replied to, see below) in order to emphasize that I
consider it an emotional term rather than a precisely-defined one.

By contrast, "digital solidarity" is a term which totally fails to
make this separation and which is therefore IMO totally unsuitable
as a basis for any kind of fact-oriented discussion of the issues.
Nevertheless "Digital Solidarity" would be a great name e.g. for an
NGO aiming at promoting a particular set of solution strategies for
"digital divide" problems.

> The term itself has been quite severely critiqued by myself
> http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue8_12/gurstein/index.html among
> others... (I choose to talk about "effective use", but others talk about
> "real use", "practical applications" and so on.

I agree that it is essential to go beyond mere "access" in the sense
of being able to send and receive IP datagrams and work out precise
models for the problems that need to be solved, on the basis of
concepts like the "effective use" .

Greetings,
Norbert.

--