[governance] ACCESS TO ICT/ INTERNET

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 13:35:19 EDT 2007

Norbert and all, can I suggest that we be rather more careful with our
terminology...

The term "Digital Divide" has become something of a "portmanteau" and
tends to mean whatever the user wishes it to mean -- all the way from
simple available access (the 5? kilometers from a pay telephone as the
standard means for defining telephone access being transferred to
something similar for the Internet) to various forms of "divides" being
conflated within the Digital Divide notion (literacy divides, financial
divides, disability divides etc.etc.) to actually being concerned with
how the access is used.

The term itself has been quite severely critiqued by myself
http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue8_12/gurstein/index.html among
others... (I choose to talk about "effective use", but others talk about
"real use", "practical applications" and so on.

In any case, and again, providing Internet or ICT access without the
parallel availability of the range of supporting attributes by means of
which this access can be translated into beneficial applications and
uses is to my mind roughly the equivalent of saying "let them eat
cake"...

It seems to me finally, that the issue of simple "access" is one that
might most usefully be left to the commercial and governmental
stakeholders to advocate (the commercial folks deriving commercial
benefits from this "access" and the governments gaining through such
"access" the ability to cut costs without (in theory) reducing
services),  although we should of course support this.

We as CS on the other hand, should be much more concerned to ensure that
this "access" is turned into real benefits (effective uses) for those
who are currently not receiving such benefits, while in many cases, at
least indirectly, absorbing some of its costs.

MG