SV: [governance] Speakers for IGF

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun Sep 16 23:55:43 EDT 2007

At 8:47 AM +0530 9/17/07, Parminder wrote:
>  > If you know the names of people who will be
>>  attending, why not?  But as it probably costs a
>>  lot to invite a journalist of this type I don't
>>  see any point in taking time to discuss names
>>  unless there's a realistic way of getting them to
>>  Rio.
>>
>>  Last year I believe the european broadcasting
>>  union brought them and I guess paid.
>>
>>  Adam
>
>Are we struck with journalists doing the moderations. I thought there was a
>lot of criticism of such a format at Athens.

I think they will be used again. If you look back
at the stocktaking session, the moderators were
generally well received (see synthesis paper of
comments, and transcript.)  There was one major
criticism (Riaz) of a mistake.

There's been very little discussion of the
modalities of the meeting -- one of the things
overlooked while the advisory group was in
waiting on the secretary general's office.
Should have been discussed in more detail in May.
I don't remember seeing any concrete proposal
describing how to better moderate the sessions,
there were a lot of comments about ensuring the
moderators were better prepared.

If moderators are used, we know they need better
briefing on issues, and all except the person
doing critical Internet resources will have
chance to attend three workshops on their theme
before the session.  Moderators and panelists
will need time together to prepare (should be
easier when the panels are smaller.)  Other ideas
to support the moderators are being discussed.

>Can't we have moderators who
>are more tuned in to the issues.

How would we find them and bring them to Rio? How
do we find a neutral, informed person (or
persons)?

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org